Another month, another chance to play the fitness challenge! This month’s version is called June ‘eed to Be Fitter!, and we’ve iterated and improved.
If you’re new to this, a recap: it doesn’t matter where you are–Seattle, Memphis, San Francisco, Palo Alto, New Orleans, Asheville, wherever. And it’ doesn’t matter what your fitness level–you choose your own activities and activity level goals. Read on to find out how it’s played and to see if it’s your kind of thing.
1. THE CHALLENGE is to do a specific number of minutes of exercise in June. You can choose which level you’re shooting for– 500 minutes (an average of just about 15 minutes a day), 1000 minutes (about 30 minutes a day) or 2000 (about 60 minutes a day). You don’t even have to work out every day, but to stay in the game, you must work out at least once a week, report your minutes every week, and hit the minimum number of minutes for your chosen level by the end of the month. Choose a level that will be a challenge for you- don’t scoop the 500 level just because you can.
2. The FUN & MOTIVATING PART: You can win money! More exercise increases your chances of winning money, but anyone that reaches the minimum for their level gets spiffed and three people in each level get bonus prizes.
3. HOW DO YOU TURN EXERCISE INTO MONEY? Everybody who participates sends me $20 via PayPal. $12 goes into a pot and whoever stays in the game and reaches the base-minute goal by June 30th splits that pot. $3 of each contribution goes into a separate pot, 1/3 of this pot goes to the player with the most minutes logged for that level, 1/3 goes to second place person, and the remaining 1/3 goes to another player who achieved the goal minutes for that level via a random drawing. $5 of each $20 goes to me as the facilitator.
4. WHAT COUNTS: Pretty much ANY aerobic and strength-related activity counts, but a session must be a minimum of 20 minutes of continuous activity. Walk, run, lift weights, yoga, stair-climb, Cross Fit, swim, bike, Wii fit, skate, take a strength class, whatever. Commuting (bike or walk) and yard work count if they meet the 20-minute minimum and steadily keep your heart rate above a moderate level.
You can claim multiple sessions a day. This is a change from our last session. You asked for it, you got it, Toyota.
5. CHECK-INS & MINIMUM LEVELS: You MUST check in on our group Facebook page or email me on the following Sundays June 8th, 15th, 22nd and on Monday June 30th and list your minutes for the week broken out by the day. If you miss a check-in, you’re out. If you go a week with no activity you’re out. This is the honor system, so be honorable.6. You must sign up and submit your entry fee by May 31st. I need at least 10 people per level to sign up in order to do it, and I’d like to get a lot more than that. If you’re interested please email me and I’ll let you know when we reach 10 people and how to submit your entry fee. This is open to all, and the more the better, so please feel free to share with your friends.
Are you in? It’s gonna be fun and motivating. Go for it! You’ll be glad you did.