Fall reminds me I’m a PUSHOVER for the seasonal beverage. The temperature drops below 55 and I can’t imagine a more cozy drink than a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
According to the nutritional guide thoughtfully furnished by Starbucks, the PSL provides us with 50% more calories and almost 100% more carbohydrates than a tall nonfat latte.
Do I still drink them? Sometimes! Maybe one every few weeks. But meanwhile, I’ve put the seasonal drink strategy to work another way- the Pumpkin Spice Smoothie.
- 8-10oz of unsweetened green tea (freshly brewed or sold in plastic half gallon jugs)
- 1-2 scoops of whey protein powder (or other protein powder, but whey is best IMO)
- 1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin (this comes in a can–you don’t have to cook/puree it)
- 1 Tbsp of sunflower butter or whatever nut/seed butter you like
- sprinkle of nutmeg or allspice
- Optional: half a banana, 1 tsp flax seeds
Blender it and drink it up. This is a nice breakfast. It’s a nice bit of protein, which keeps me from spiking and plunging my blood sugar. And it sure does have more fiber and nutrients than the flavored latte. I can even drink one of these before a run or boot camp.